Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The art of Obama

Last spring Melanie and I joined my folks on a minivacation in New Mexico, the Georgia O'Keefe state. At the Georgia O'Keefe museum in Santa Fe there was a prominent special display for Jimson Weed, which had been on loan to the GWB White House for the previous six years, at Laura Bush's request.

Jimson Weed


I personally think that it is a beautiful painting, and the former First Lady's choice attests that at least one person in the White House had some taste.

Apparently (and unsurprisingly) things are quite tasteful in the new First Domicile, which embraces abstraction and ambiguity with equanimity. Awesome.

Twilight Sounds


Twilight Sounds, Norman Lewis, 1947

I'm still a fan of this Obama art, though:

Obama Hope


Obey Giant!

And BTW, when I'm president, I'm going to have my official portrait painted by the creator of this one:

Samson at Rest


No comments: