Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Trent on NPR

There are very few NPR programs that trigger an immediate urge in me to turn off the radio, but heading the list has to be Fresh Air, at least whenever Terry Gross is actually interviewing guests, and not a stand-in. Gross is almost infallibly exasperating, either because she's fawning, she's unfair, or she's simply ignorant and shallow.
Still, she does tend to interview interesting people, and M. happily tipped me off yesterday to Gross's interview with someone I consider to be incredibly interesting, my favorite musician, Trent Reznor.
Trent Reznor
Gross, expectedly, doesn't know much about Reznor and Nine Inch Nails, and from her introduction and questions it's clear that she relies heavily on Wikipedia. Still, I'll never pass up an opportunity to hear Trent speak or play.
My favorite quotes from the interview are Gross displaying her usual brilliance
GROSS: "And I think, I mean that's true in the sense that I mean you really are composing. It's not like noisy noise. It's more composed noise."
Yes, Trent actually makes music.
and Trent's humor
GROSS: Let's hear another Nine Inch Nails song. And this is another kind of - another one in the canon of Nine Inch Nails songs.
REZNOR: Play a happy one just to break - oh wait, there aren't any.
The interview is worth a listen, or a read, as is another NPR interview from the time when Trent won an Oscar for the original score for The Social Network.

Some Reznor/Finch songs from David Fincher's version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are available for a listen here.
And here's the movie trailer:

No comments: