Friday, November 6, 2009

Lazy Man's Post

NaBloPoMo Day 6: I had hoped it wouldn't come to this, at least not so soon, but posting an entry every day is taxing for those of us lacking self-discipline. I have plenty to write about, but only 25 more minutes to make today's deadline, so I will resort to a tactic that most of the prolific and popular bloggers we all aspire to emulate stoop to from time to time: the link list. I'll just jot down some links to the prose and photography of others, you fill in the rest.


  • Good dogs -- I had a German shepherd growing up, and he was no canine genius, but he was a superb dog. If he had been a human, I would say he was a "man's man", but saying he was a "man's dog" would seem to be stating the obvious, and I have no idea what it means to be a "dog's dog".

  • These two posts have excellent rules for restaurant servers. Too bad hardly any Boston restaurants ensure their employees follow them.

  • This sounds like a good walk. Speaking of British walks, Will Self had a series of essays on walking for the NY Times a few years ago...I should dig those up at some point.

  • This theory is somewhat funny, but I'm reminded of an awful David Brooks column from a year ago in which he tried to say that there were two emerging narratives about the roots of the financial crisis, either the Wall Streeters were greedy or they were stupid, and which narrative you favored depended on your political ideology. Ever the false dichotomist, our David. Wall Streeters are greedy and stupid, of course.

  • As a computational neuroscientist, I feel entitled to weigh in on the whizbang science that fascinates David Brooks (and Tom Wolfe). It's about 75% BS.

  • It took no Einstein to guess that something like this was coming. I'm sure GWB has no regrets about highlighting the founder of this worthless product company in his 2007 State of the Union address.


There you have it folks -- a few minutes trawling the NY Times's Most Emailed list and you have yourself a blog entry!

(I'll try to be more on the ball in the future.)

No comments: