Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

Every Tuesday Yano comes up with a new Ten on Tuesday challenge, and this week s/he is asking to list "Ten Ways to Waste Time on the Internet." This one is in fact challenging, since I don't consider many of the sites I visit to be wastes of time. So, I'm changing the challenge slightly and listing the ten most frequently visited sites.

1. Ravelry. It's a knitting website. Unless you knit, don't bother checking it. I'm very obviously wasting internet time with Ravelry. (OMG)

2. New York Times. That's my start page. The older I get, the more fascinated I am with the Health section. I don't check the obituaries yet. I always read Judith Warner's column, although most of the time I think she's a bit lame. I tend to get completely worked up about a) movie reviews and b) articles on fertility treatments. Which is strange, since I'm not much of a movie-goer and not yet in need of fertility treatment. I think that the NYT does a lousy job covering German news.

3. Leo. My favorite English-German dictionary.

4. The Oxford English Dictionary. I subscribe to it through Cornell. I will miss it very much once it's gone.

5. Facebook. (Argh. I know.)

6. The MLA job list. (No comment.)

7. It's a tie between Huffington Post, Arts & Letters Daily, Der Spiegel.

8. Since we got rid of TV I started watching stuff online. Therefore: Netflix Instant Play.

9. The Paris Blog. (Sometimes this link will take you to websites you could do without seeing... but most of the time it redirects you to the right site. Just a word of caution here.)

10. I read tons and tons and tons of blogs. English and German, mostly. French and Finnish when I feel adventurous. Lots of art/museum blogs, some Berlin/Germany blogs, fewer writing/literature blogs. Many political blogs. Knitting blogs, many of those. And photography blogs.

No comments: